3D Design Stream
Theme Leader: Gregory Leplatre firstname.lastname@example.org
The 3D Design stream is designed to provide you with
knowledge and practical skills in all areas of 3D design and enable you
to become an expert in the area of your choice.
It is strongly recommended that students taking this
stream also take the Digital Storytelling stream and the Graphics and Animation stream.
Topics covered in these streams, such as elements of cinematography, storytelling,
postproduction, traditional animation, etc, are crucial to anyone who
aspires to make it in the CG industry. Relevant career opportunities available
in the industry involve: character modeller, rigger, character animator,
Technical director, etc.
Key Learning Outcomes:
- Describe the key theories pertaining to 3D Design.
- Demonstrate a high level of competence in all aspects of the design
and production of static and dynamic 3D content (visualisation and animation)
- Demonstrate an expertise in specific areas of knowledge and practice.
The following main areas are covered in the stream:
- Modeling: Types of geometry, tessellation, polygon count, rendering
- Shading and texturing: Shader properties and behaviours, UV mapping
- Lighting: Colour and light theory, lighting studies. CG lighting.
- Rendering: rendering engines and algorithms.
- Rigging: Forward and inverse kinematics, deformers, constraints, blendshapes.
- Preproduction (animation): Concept development, character design,
- Animation: Timing and movement, acting, principles of animation, animation
techniques, motion capture.
- Modeling: Box, patch modeling, use of Polygons, NURBS and subdivision
surfaces; from the creation of basic models to the development of hyperreal
- UV mapping, Shading and Texturing: From the use of simple shaders
to the creation of photoreal character textures.
- Lighting: CG lights and lighting techniques
- Rendering: Multi-pas rendering, advanced rendering using Mental Ray.
- Rigging: Animator-friendly rigging techniques.
- Animation: artefact/character animation, dynamic systems, particles.
to 3D Design
- Broad introduction to all aspects of the production of static
3D images – Modeling, texturing, lighting and rendering.
- Focus on the development of stylised 3D cartoon animations.
- Focus on hyperreal character development, from complex organic
character modeling to photorealistic rendering.